Re: [Evolution] Connecting to LDAP address book

Karim:

Using luma, I can only connect to my LDAP servers anonymously with an unencrypted connection.  So
it is not behaving the same as evolution is for me, but it does let me see all the records.

Connecting with evolution is set to anonymous with always use a secure connection over port 389.
It also works using port 636, again always secure.

The search base is empty, but I have also seen this as "(objectclass=*)".  I would assume
evolution by default searches all objectclasses.

Search scope is "Sub".

Timeout and download limit are left to the default values, whatever the timeout is and 100.

No contacts are shown until I send a filter, such as "Name begins with scott".  Then I get some
contacts to show up.  I think this is the same behavior as you are seeing.

I do have problems for certain searches, usually when only one contact matches the search.  I
don't know why, and I have a bug filed for this (#322964).

As for whether evolution needs the ldap.conf settings, I would assume no, since they do not ask
for it in the LDAP addressbook setup.  I do *think* they make use of the settings in the system
ldap.conf file.  I'll try some experiments to see if this is true.

Also, did you know there is an open bug on the evolution-data-server that changes to the LDAP
server settings in many cases requires evolution to be forcefully shutdown in order to kill the
data server and restart with the new settings.  I can't remember the bug number for this.

Scott

--- Karim Ratib <karim ratib gmail com> wrote:

Scott et al:

The results I've gotten with this issue are confusing. I tried the setup
with two different LDAP servers, one installed by our sysadmin at work, and
one that I installed myself at home. Here's what I got:

1. At work, rebooting (once or more) connected me to the LDAP addressbook.
At home, it didn't.

2. Fixing ldap.conf to have correct BASE and URI entries enables ldapsearch
-x to work. Otherwise, command-line parameters need to be added manually.
Question: Does Evolution need ldap.conf settings too? Given that Evo also
asks for these parameters in its addressbook settings.

3. In any case, I cannot display the full contents of the addressbook. I can
also filter on some values. Did anyone notice this behaviour?

I installed a cool little app called luma (apt-get install luma) that
connects to LDAP servers and has an addressbook module. Reading and writing
work fine in all cases, even for remote servers (i.e., accessing my home
LDAP server from work).