[Evolution] problems when ~/.evolution symbolically linked to directory on fat32

Hi,

I try to move from Sylpheed email client to Evolution.

When I migrate my emails to Evolution using the default storage location (~/.evolution) it works great.

However, I want to store all of the data (email, calender, etc) on a different partition by making a symbolic
link between the .evolution directory and target directory; the target directory is on a FAT32 partition.
Here the trouble starts.

After I imported all the Sylpheed emails (MH directory) into a temporary account, I cannot move the emails
between these accounts. The complaint is that it timed out creating a lock file.

Any suggestions?

Do I have to tell (and can I tell to) Evolution that the target is on FAT32?

I am using Debian Linux Sarge, with Evolution 2.0

Greetings Rob