Re: [Evolution] Keeping states

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 07:15 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 17:05 -0400, Eric Preston wrote:
Patrick O'Callaghan said:

Except that the message might no longer be there. People use a variety
of mailers, including multiple instances of Evo (I do, though they're
not concurrent). As long as the state is kept local to each instance and
not on the mail server, you can't know what happened between one
activation and the next, so you need a fallback.

I think you're clouding the issue here. If you're using multiple mailers
(or instances thereof) you've got really unrealistic expectations for
any of them to keep reasonably sane state information. Defaults should
accomodate common case(s). My common case is only
reading .evolution/mboxes with one instance of Evolution.

First of all I was trying to say that I *didn't* expect Evo to handle
this (in fact I don't know of any mailer that does). I was talking about
the "reasonable fallback". Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Secondly, I think nowadays it's far from unusual for people to read mail
from more than one location (at least home and office, probably more if
they travel a lot). It's just a fact of life.

Yes, but this is usually from different machines, so scroll position
won't matter because its not stored in your pop or imap folder (is it?).
Unless they've got a laptop, then you may use the same machine in
different locations, but then the location doesn't matter.

As far as I understand the issue, I think Eric was talking about
different mail clients on the same pc, which would cause a problem.

IMAP may turn it into a problem, because you may delete a message on one
machine that your other machine is keeping state for.  In which case you
can default to scroll location.  So, when entering a folder, jump to:
1. last exact email viewed
2. if not there, then last scroll position
3. if not possible, then very last or very first message, depending on
users pref.

Just MHO :)
--
Iain Buchanan <iaindb netspace net au>