Re: [Evolution] Keeping states

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 07:43 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 11:44 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your comments Jeff.  They're interesting.

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 21:59 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 09:22 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 15:06 +0200, guenther wrote:

* When switching folders, Evo remembers the selected mail and the
  position in the mail list. This even works after closing Evo.

no it doesn't.  I know it intends to, but it doesn't do a very good job
of it IMHO.  Please don't be upset by this remark, I'm just
commenting :)

actually it does, but a particular message is not always in the exact
same scroll position between sessions (new mail has arrived and perhaps
the folder is in threaded view, etc).

just to be annoying, no, it doesn't always.  Sometimes it remembers the
scroll position, but sometimes evo reverts to the "top" of the folder.
I notice this because I'm one of those weird people who reads messages
with the newest at the bottom.  Sometimes I leave a folder with the last
message selected (and scrolled to), and when I come back, evo is at the
very top of the list (ie. the oldest email).

Me too. I've always found this intensely irritating. It's exactly the
worst possible heuristic for us newest-at-the-bottom wierdos :-)

if I recall correctly, this is some race condition with ETable's
timeouts and stuff. Basically, the mailer tells ETable to scroll to a
position and then immediately afterwards a timeout expires in ETable
internals and it scrolls back to the top/wherever.

Jeff