[Evolution] shutdown doesn't shutdown, evolution-exchange-storage quit after suspend.

I love evolution, but when I exit evolution 2.4.1 or when it crashes,
there are always left over processes.  In order to restart evolution,
and have it work, I jump through lots of hoops, but these steps don't
work all the time.  I run:
  evolution --force-shutdown
  bonobo-slay
  gconftool-2 --shutdown
  /usr/bin/oaf-slay
  killl -9 `ps -elf |grep evolution |awk '{print $4}'`

These steps don't work when I suspend the laptop at work, take it home,
start the vpn, and then start evolution.  I always get this error:
  The Application  "evolution-exchange-storage" has quit unexpectedly.
Once in a while "evolution-exchange-storage" won't quit, but it will
repeatedly ask for my password, and never let me log in.

In order to get past these errors, the only solution I've found is to
log-out and log-in again.  I would kill for a more elegant solution.

I'm using gentoo packages:
  evolution 2.4.1
  evolution-webcal 2.4.1
  evolution-exchange 2.4.1