[Evolution] Re: was migrating mail form 1.4 to 2.4 -now- migrating functionality back

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 22:50:14 +0100
From: guenther <guenther rudersport de>
Subject: Re: [Evolution] migrating mail form 1.4 to 2.4
I am switching distros. The old distro ran Evolution
1.4.x and the new one runs Evolution 2.4.x. I want to
<snip>
First of all: Always have the old account as a backup around. Copy your
data, do not move it. Paranoia saves your day.

Evolution 1.4 stores data (like Mail, Address Books, etc) in ~/evolution
and the settings (Accounts and stuff) in ~/.gconf/apps/evolution using
GConf. Since Evo 2.0 the location for the data changed to the hidden
~/.evolution dir (note the dot).

Evolution will migrate your old data for you, if you do have it in your
(new) $HOME.

<snip>

I never got around to thanking you for these instructions. I followed
them and it worked perfectly. Thank you again.

Unfortunately, I am not a happy camper. I find myself cursing profusely
every time I try to use Evolution 2.4 On the surface, it seems like the
same program, but it has actually changed in many subtle ways, and
unfortunately in ways that wiped out most of the user interface features
that made me select Evolution 1.4 way back when I switched to Linux.

Me being unhappy isn't on topic. But perhaps you can point me to a way
to get my old familiar key bindings back. I did search google and
searched the help that came with evolution and the answer I mostly found
there was--- it can't be done.

Right now, I'll settle for getting two keys changed.

One, when I have viewed a message and am ready to close that window, I
used to hit ESC, and move on. Now I have to hunt out the ALT and F4
keys. (or worst, find the mouse the click on the X button.)  Is there a
way to change it back to ESC?

Second, to view the next message in the mail window, I used to hit um...
SHIFT DOT (otherwise known as '>') That doesn't work anymore. I now have
to reach my pinky further to hit the CTRL key. Can I move it back to
SHIFT?

One Wonderful thing that I gained with 2.4 was the button in the window
actually does advance to next message, instead of the less useful (to
me) advance to next unread message. Many is the time I hit SHIFT-DOT
twice by mistake and had to close the window, to select the skipped
message and re-open the window. That is over with, I can just hit the
button. But there appears to be no key binding to do that. Can I make
that binding?

I am so hoping you can.

Thanks again,
David