Re: [Evolution] Problem opening attachments.

Evolution itself does not know about the file types. There are no
special cases for Evo, it offers in the drop down whatever the GNOME
Desktop Environment has.

Those associations today are done by .desktop files. Unfortunately I
don't recall the exact way GNOME 2.8 uses, but I think it's the same.

I am running FC4 as a test system and there it IS possible to open OO of
an attached Microsoft Word document, so I'll live with the problem on
FC3 till I switch over to FC4. But it would be nice to know the
mechanism behind file associations as I haven't been able to find a
description of how it works.

A lot of this stuff should be in the fd.o specs:
  http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/

Anyway, this is how it works at least with GNOME 2.10 and later, not
sure about 2.8 (which you obviously are running). See more about this
below.

I suppose you can't open the saved .doc files by double clicking it in
Nautilus too, right? Just add it to the known file types of OpenOffice,
and Evo should offer OpenOffice to open that attachment. [1]

I have no problem opening the saved .doc file in Nautilus.

If it still doesn't, you probably need to tweak the relevant .desktop
file and add application/msword to the MimeType list.

Do you happen to know where the .desktop files are located?

Weird, the saved Microsoft Word Document is of MIME type
"application/vnd.ms-word" and the attached document is
"application/msword". So this could be the reason why clicking the file
opens OO whereas clicking the attachment does not.

AFAIK, yes. The Content-Type is set by the sending MUA, which in this
case happens to be a different MIME type than the one Nautilus detects.
So the last option I mentioned is the way to go here: Add the MIME type
application/msword to the OpenOffice .desktop file.

My personal .desktop files live in $XDG_DATA_HOME/applications, which
may or may not yet be supported by GNOME 2.8. This is quite some time
ago and was a moving target back those days, so I don't recall if 2.8
uses this already. I believe it does, though. Those files may be stored
somewhere in your ~/.nautilus dir.

Your system wide .desktop files probably are in /usr/share/applications
or a similar place. Try editing those files if you can't find your
personal ones, and be sure to restart the relevant part of GNOME after
that. No, I don't know for sure if restarting Evo would be sufficient...

HTH

...guenther