[Evolution] migrating mail form 1.4 to 2.4

I am switching distros. The old distro ran Evolution
1.4.x and the new one runs Evolution 2.4.x. I want to
move the mail from the old distro to the new one. I
did google searches and searches on Evolution's web
pages, but couldn't find any instructions on how to do
this. The best I found was how to manually recreate
the directory tree, then manually move and rename the
files. But since I keep my mail in a directory tree
with hundreds of folders multiple levels deep, that
just sounds like far too much work to do manually.

Can anyone point me to instructions on how to create a
script to automate the task, or better yet, how to get
Evolution itself to handle the migration on its own?

Thanks,
David