Re: [Evolution] Suggestions on how to work with Evolution UI effectively?

Hi Mike,

Yeah I've tried Ctrl+] too but it's equally frustrating as Evolution
might well go to the next unread message well enough but it doesn't
always move the scroll bar to have that message appear in the message
pane.

Interesting... with 2.0.3, I don't recall ever seeing that. (I'm using
Debian/unstable's package). Is there a simple way to reproduce that
behavior?

Well..I don't know about an easy way to reproduce this but I just now
did it again.

The highlight bar was on some folder other than my inbox one.  The inbox
one was highlighted in black to indicate that there was unread email in
it.  So...I click with the mouse on the inbox folder (which causes
messages subject lines from the folder to appear in the message pane).
There are too many messages in my inbox for the unread message to be
seen.  It's down below somewhere.  The scroll bar in the message pane is
not at the bottom (very frustrating thing in and of itself).

So....I hit "Ctrl-]" to suppossedly go to the next message.  Something
happens but neither the focus on the folder pane or the scroll bar
moves.  Perhaps the focus has changed but the inbox folder still has the
highlight bar over it now that I clicked on it previously.

So...I go over to the message pane and grab the scroll bar with the
mouse and force it down until I see the message that Evolution has
supposedly focused on as the next unread message.  I look at the message
and sure enough it's one I haven't seen before.

But sometimes I am not sure because the highlight bar is STILL over in
the folder pane. And any message "focused" on in the message pane has a
greyed out highlight bar that normally means focus has been lost in that
pane.

A great big, royal, PITA!!!  And a very amateurish way of expecting the
user to go through keypress gymnastics to get their work done!

I have seriously considered moving over to Thunderbird over this one
PITA alone (and may still do)!  I don't use Microsoft Exchange or have
any need for most of the other fancy capabilities of Evolution so for me
these kinds of UI issues are much more important to my enjoyment of an
email client.  I've tried to live with it but the UI quirks are really
starting to irritate the heck out of me.

Carlos