Re: [Evolution] Suggestions on how to work with Evolution UI effectively?

Hi Mike,

I've been using "Ctrl-]" to do that. I never even knew "." could do
that, since View/Go To/Next Unread Message says to use "Ctrl-]"...

Yeah I've tried Ctrl+] too but it's equally frustrating as Evolution
might well go to the next unread message well enough but it doesn't
always move the scroll bar to have that message appear in the message
pane.  So...I have to go and move the scroll bar to see it show up.
Only thing is that since I have messages to be labeled read as soon as I
focus on them by the time I get to the message in question it's lost
it's unread highlighted state and I am left wondering if Evolution
really did focus on the next unread message or not?  Resulting in my
having to look at the previous message to make sure the one Evolution
was focused on was really a new one.

This whole UI way in which Evolution does things is EXTREMELY
frustrating and downright quirky relative to what I have been used to in
KMail.  I would highly suggest that the Evolution developers play around
with KMail for a while (if they haven't already) and compare the
keystrokes used and what happens as a result.  Evolution's UI in terms
of keyboard presses and having the result be meaningful and appropriate
in feedback to the user is the pits in my opinion.  It comes across as
downright amateurish!  The kind of UI key pressing that is to be found
in immature projects who are still getting their act together.

I don't know how much current developers will focus on UI issues but
however great the underlying program code may be or however capable
Evolution as an email client is, UI issues will make or break this
program in terms of having it be adopted and used by a whole heck of a
lot of people.  If not the majority.

If I can ever find the time I will most certainly see about patching the
source to improve the UI for myself and those around me who might want
to use Evolution.  And perhaps even work such changes into Evolution
itself through appropriate channels to do so. Assuming it doesn't
involve a massive rewrite of large sections of the program that is :).

Bear in mind that I say that, relative to what I was used to in KMail.
I am sure many of you find Evolutions UI keypresses and the resultant
actions just fine but I am not at all sure that anyone coming from KMail
would be inclined to say the same thing :).

Having never used Outlook much (I was a Eudora man under Windows) I
can't say much about how it compares to Outlook.

Carlos