Re: Scaling Evo for large mailsets (was Re: [OT] Re: [Evolution] strategies for handling lots of mail)

On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 13:50 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 13:54 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 07:14 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 04:23 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 14:51 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
[snip]

Sorry, I don't buy that.  If Outlook can do it fast, we can do it too.

Much of the cost seems to be associated with updating the "Unmatched"
vfolder.

*sigh*

will you get off that already? that's not where the slowness is for me.

  As I pointed out on evolution-hackers a few weeks ago, the
"Updating vfolders..." step during startup is something like O(N!) where
N is the number of folders - as it iterates over each folder it rescans
all headers in each previous folder.

maybe in your case, but not in everyones.

You can demonstrate by hacking the code to disable this update and
startup is 10x faster.

doesn't make a lick of difference for me.

but then again, my setup isn't exactly like your setup, so that is to be
expected

Note that long ago I disabled vFolder usage as much as possible.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed
and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks
that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has
nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more
important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature,
and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the
exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill