Scaling Evo for large mailsets (was Re: [OT] Re: [Evolution] strategies for handling lots of mail)

On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 14:51 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
There is no exact solution that'll fit to everyone. Let me tell you what
I'm doing. I have more than 2000 folders and sub/subfolders and it takes
~5 min to start Evo on a relevantly powerfull machine (PIV 3000 MHz/512

Offtopic, i'm just curious ... How can you possibly have (and manage -
and have time left over to do anything other than move mails around)
2000 folders of critical mail?

On a more important note, how many total messages is that?  And how many
vfolders do you have?

I've been radically redesigning the way mail information is stored and I
guess I need to make sure it scales well this far and beyond.

Since you asked... ;)

Evo+IMAP seems not to scale well when folders get more than 5000ish
emails.  Time-to-open a folder takes an IMO inordinate amount of
time scanning all the headers.

Vitals:
- Debian Unstable (up to date, GNOME 2.10)
- Evo 2.2.2-2
- Courier IMAP 3.0.8-4
- linux kernel 2.6.11
- Maildir folders on a reiserfs partition of a 7200RPM IDE HDD

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"In any great organization it is far, far safer to be wrong with
the majority than to be right alone."
John Kenneth Galbraith