Re: Scaling Evo for large mailsets (was Re: [OT] Re: [Evolution] strategies for handling lots of mail)

On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 11:33 -0700, Des Dougan wrote:
FWIW, I have over 10,000 emails in my Evo folder (Dovecot IMAP on my
server (SME Server, an RH 7.3 derivative), filtering done server-side by
procmail) and access to the folder, on my old P3-500, takes less than
two seconds. Evo start-up, which needs to happen rarely, takes a bit
longer, but otherwise, performance is fine for me.

10,000 is not that much, extrapolate your results to 100,000+ messages
and you start to have some problems.

To be clear, local folders seem to scale to 100K+ messages just fine.
It's the vfolder implementation that seems to get into trouble.

Anyway, I really need to profile it, and try Not Zed's latest
performance fixes, before speculating any more.  For all I know the
problem is fixed in CVS.

Lee