Re: [Evolution] strategies for handling lots of mail

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 16:05 -0400, W Randolph Franklin wrote:
Hi,

I'm just switching to evolution, and am interested in reasonable
strategies for handling a large amount of email.   I receive 100
messages a day before deleting spam, most of it mailing lists, and want
to save most nonspam mail forever.

Currently I use fetchmail to dump the mail into MH-style directories,
which evolution sees as MH folders.

Is it reasonable to leave everything in the inbox folder even after it's
read, and just set up a vfolder for each project and correspondant?
Does the vfolder concept break down eventually?   E.g., I've seen the
messages about efficiency concerns dictating that vfolders are not
updated immediately.

What other strategies do people suggest?

I installed postfix, spamassassin, courier-IMAP & maildrop (a
server-side filter) in addition to fetchmail.

fetchmail passes each email to postfix, which runs it thru SA and
then feeds it to maildrop, which filters it (including spam) into
the proper Mailfilter directory.  (Oh, yeah, forgot to mention that
I also started "using" Mailfilter.)

Now, my Inbox is tiny, and spam is put in a spam folder that I can
scan thru and delete at my pleasure.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"The First Amendment protects speech from being censored by the
government; it does not regulate what private parties (such as
most employers) do."
http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Anonymity/blog-anonymously.php