Re: [Evolution] strategies for handling lots of mail

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 16:05 -0400, W Randolph Franklin wrote:
Hi,

I'm just switching to evolution, and am interested in reasonable
strategies for handling a large amount of email.   I receive 100
messages a day before deleting spam, most of it mailing lists, and want
to save most nonspam mail forever.

Currently I use fetchmail to dump the mail into MH-style directories,
which evolution sees as MH folders.

Is it reasonable to leave everything in the inbox folder even after it's
read, and just set up a vfolder for each project and correspondant?
Does the vfolder concept break down eventually?   E.g., I've seen the
messages about efficiency concerns dictating that vfolders are not
updated immediately.

What other strategies do people suggest?

Right click on a mailing list message, 'Create Rule From Message' ->
'Filter on Mailing List', then select the folder.  Repeat for each list,
then select all and 'Apply Filters'.

The current vfolder implementation does not scale to large amounts of
mail, things get quite sluggish once you have 50K or 100K messages,
because Evolution will do things like rescan all headers in every folder
when you delete a message from a vfolder.

The standard approach seems to be to throw hardware at the problem, but
this kind of reminds me of that Simpsons episode:

        Homer:  Well, I just need to read email...

        Computer Sales Guy:  Oh, you'll need a top of the line machine...

Although to be fair I hear that some performance improvements have gone
in lately.

Lee