Re: [Evolution] filtering junk mail

The Junk filtering of Evo uses the well known and very good SA to flag
the mails. SA should identify most SPAMs out the box. However, results
get better, once the Bayesian classifier kicks in, which by default
needs to learn 200 messages each SPAM and HAM (non-Junk). So train your
Bayes good... ;)

Another good explanation, guenther.

Thanks. :)

I always wondered what engine evo
used for its spam filter.  That amount of training would explain why I
see the same HAM marked as spam again and again.  I'm thinking, why is
evo just not getting it that this sender is good?  Now, I have some
insight that it doesn't just store any given address as "not junk" it
filters with more complexity than that.

Very true.

SA by no means just filters on From: addresses. This would be no good at
all, cause most SPAM arrives from somewhat randomly chosen (or made up)
accounts...

So, that raises the question: How can I create a "whitelist" of senders
so not to wait a long time for the bayesian filtering to kick in?

See the SA homepage for detailed information about this:
  http://spamassassin.apache.org/

You'll need to mess around with your SA configuration files. Either the
global ones in /etc/mail/spamassassin/ or your local ones [1] on a per
user basis, if enabled (default).

If you're running SA 3.0.x (which you should anyway, cause it triggers
far better than the aging 2.x versions) here are the relevant docs:
  http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.0.x/dist/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html

See the section "Whitelist and Blacklist Options", especially the
whitelist_from option. Add lines like this for any often incorrectly
tagged sender address. Run 'spamassassin --lint' (as the respective user
in case of user prefs) after that to verify the syntax is correct (no
output, no complaints).

Well, or LART your correspondents to *not* use spammy words... Using a
3.5 ft length of sucker rod [2] does help here... ;-)

...ninja guenther

[1] ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs
[2] man -P "less -isR -G +/SECURITY" 8 syslogd