Re: [Evolution] vfolders slow to update unread message count

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 09:08 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 13:33 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:

So the imap protocol wont (necessarily) tell us when new mail arrives in
another folder.  But that shouldn't matter - because when the unread
count goes up evo now knows there is new mail in that folder, so why
doesn't evolution check that folder (just like it does when I select the
folder)?

performance reasons. updating the message summary for every folder that
gets new messages the instant it gets them is impractical

My other point is that it used to work as one would expect with
evolution-2.0.4 - ie, as soon as the unread count went up, the vfolder
unread count went up too.

this is untrue, it's never done this.

only thing I can think of is that you were either thinking of vfolders
based on local folders

(nope, only ever used them for imap)

 or else the IMAP folder was currently in the
SELECTED state for the vfolder you were looking at in 2.0.x

ok, maybe I remember incorrectly (my memory is not good anyway!) but:

should it take forever to update the vfolder unread count? eg 45min+ ?
ok 45 minutes isn't forever, but I would assume that's more than any
timer evo is waiting for...  "Automatically check for new mail every" is
set to 9 minutes.

thanks,
--
Iain Buchanan <iaindb netspace net au>