Re: [Evolution] vfolders slow to update unread message count

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 09:04 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 09:29 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 17:22 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
try putting 'scan all folders for new mail' in the imap folder options.

I have "Check for new mail in all folders" selected already.

the imap protocol wont tell us when new mail arrives in another folder,
only for the 'current' one (which may or may not be related to the last
one visited in the ui), so we need to ask for it explictly, and its
usually expensive.

don't confuse the problem :) - I can see the new mail in evolution
folders because the unread count goes up, so evolution knows about it.
I think it's an evo problem because it doesn't update the vfolder.

I wasn't confusing the problem, I was explainging why the imap protocol
doesn't help this.  The unread count is disconnected from the folder
itself too, which needs to be updated before the vfolder knows about it,
the vfolder knows nothing about the folder list unread count and evenif
it did it wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

So the imap protocol wont (necessarily) tell us when new mail arrives in
another folder.  But that shouldn't matter - because when the unread
count goes up evo now knows there is new mail in that folder, so why
doesn't evolution check that folder (just like it does when I select the
folder)?

My other point is that it used to work as one would expect with
evolution-2.0.4 - ie, as soon as the unread count went up, the vfolder
unread count went up too.

(PS. please reply just to the list, not to me as well :)

Dont have time to pick the right address.

isn't it just "reply to list" instead of "reply to all"?

If you really don't have time, then I can put up with it.  It wasn't
directed just at you specifically, I notice a few people do it.

Thanks for your help.
--
Iain Buchanan <iaindb netspace net au>