Re: [Evolution] why is reply-to not to the list?

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 16:01 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
So, whats the best way to do this?  Either you:

1. mangle the from address to be the list, but leave the reply-to (which
is blank or specified)

So you can't tell who sent what mail? If there's one header that
shouldn't be mucked with, it's definitely From. Worse, you completely
lose any chance of contacting a person off list in the off chance that
there really is something private to say.

2. mangle the reply-to address to always be the list

3. change all mail clients to respond to lists differently, with the
default reply button.

4. Do what the ubuntu-users list does and add/append (don't simply
replace) the list's address to Reply-to. This solves the technical
problem of "reply-to gets lost," and keeps people on the list (that
don't set reply-to) from getting dupes from non-Evo-enabled posters
(since everyone else uses pretty much has to use reply-to-all).

Of course, the other problem with reply-to is that you end up with those
vacation agents sending their updates to everyone on the list ;-)

Anyway, this is a flamewar waiting to erupt, so I'm done with it. I'm
happy with how the list is setup, and I'm super happy that Evo has a
working Reply-to-list command.

mike

--
Michael R Head <burner suppressingfire org>
GPG: http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/gpg.key.txt (ID 23A02B1F)