Re: [Evolution] why is reply-to not to the list?

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 13:37 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 13:55 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
Instead, maybe the list should set the "from" address as being the list,
instead of the OP.

Then, people who set reply-to's will get them to their correct account,
and otherwise, replies will go to the list.

Coupled with this, I think the default evolution action when
encountering a list should be as follows:
"reply" button replies to the "X-BeenThere" or "List-Id" or "List-Post",
whichever is the correct one /regardless/ of reply-to.

"reply to sender" (an extra button when one of the above headers is
encountered) sends either to the OP's "reply-to" address, unless they
haven't specified one, in which case it will send to the OP's "from"
address.

But unless otherwise specified, "reply" for a list, should definitely go
to the list.

So what if you just want to send a private off-list reply?

then you use the (mythical) "reply to sender" button (or menu option, or
whatever)

Thats what reply is for, its reply to sender ...

I disagree.  Let's say you're in a seminar or lecture, where the speaker
uses a microphone for everyone to hear.  Someone stands up and asks a
question loudly.  The speaker then walks over to the person who answers,
wispers the response to the person who asked it, so no one else can
hear.

This is the equivalent of replying to the OP, /when they haven't
requested it/.  Instead, the speaker should reply to everyone with the
mic.

Now, lets say you ask your lecturer quietly in the corner for an
extension on an assignment because your mother / brother / dog dies.
Then the lecturer gets the mic and tells everyone they're sorry for your
loss, and yes you can have an extension.

This is the equivalent of replying to a list, when the OP has requested
a reply to them.

So, whats the best way to do this?  Either you:

1. mangle the from address to be the list, but leave the reply-to (which
is blank or specified)

2. mangle the reply-to address to always be the list

3. change all mail clients to respond to lists differently, with the
default reply button.

3. is impossible, although can be suggested to devs

2. is Not A Good Idea (TM)

1. is IMHO the best solution.

A list is almost useless, if I can't see other peoples responses, and
hence solve my question without having to ask it again.
--
Iain Buchanan <iaindb netspace net au>