[Evolution] No LDAP Password Prompt

I am using Debian Sarge and Evolution 2.0.4. I have set up my own LDAP service, and it works fine with everything except Evolution. An attempt to open an LDAP address book in Evolution results in an error message roughly like this: "Unable to open address book. The URL may be incorrect or the host may be unreachable." Evolution does not even attempt to prompt for a password. I looked at the slapd debug output, and it appears that Evolution is attempting to use an unsupported certificate-based authentication. Can Evolution be set up to use a simple password login, or am I stuck with setting up a more complex LDAP configuration? I'm new to LDAP, so I need simple but thorough guidance. Any help is appreciated.