Re: [Evolution] Possible Bugs in 2.0.3

I'm having a problem using evo to send mail using tls.  A similar
problem was reported on this list in:

http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution/2004-October/040131.html

and Not Zed stated that this problem was fixed in 2.0.3.

I'm running 2.0.3 and I'm still seeing a problem (although it may not be
identical).  Specifically,

When I have account settings as follows:
Evolution Account Editor:
"Sending Mail" tab:
Server Type: SMTP
Server Configuration
host: myhost:26
Server requires authentication [checked]
Security
Use Secure Connection (SSL): Always
Authentication
Type: DIGEST-MD5
Username: user virtdomain com
Remember password [checked]

and when I attempt to send, the send process hangs until it times out or
I terminate it by hand.  I have the port set to 26 vice 25 to avoid ISP
filtering, but I wonder if this could have anything to do with the
problem?

When the account setting for Security (Use Secure Connection (SSL)) is
changed from "Always" to "Whenever Possible" then everything works as
expected.

Right.

That particular bit of the Settings UI is pretty confusing, but
"Whenever Possible" actually means TLS.

Changing the UI to reflect the facts properly has been discussed
previously, and it hopefully will be changed. I just don't know about
the current state.

[ snip ]
Is this a bug in evo or a configuration problem on my part?  If the
former, how do I report it in a bugzilla or something (or is this
message enough)?  My apologies if this is a faq, but I'm relatively new
to the evo community and it looks like all the Ximian web pages are
Novell web pages and in searching through them, all I seem to find is
commercial software information; no bugzilla or some such.

Evolution Project page:
  http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/

Evolution Bugzilla:
  http://bugzilla.ximian.com

And while
I'm on that subject, what is the latest stable (and development) version
of Evo, and where do I download it from?  The latest ebuild in Gentoo is
2.0.3.  Is that the latest release of Evo?

Latest Stable Evolution actually is 2.0.3, the Development tree is up to
2.1.3.2. For more information and latest versions see:
  http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/download.shtml

Sometimes Gentoo ebuilds in
Portage lag the software package by a little bit, so I just thought I'd
ask.  The Novell website seems to go to great lengths to avoid providing
this kind of information; perhaps because they wish to sell the product
instead of providing it for download?

I also have two other problems that I'm pretty sure are evo bugs:

1) Evo refuses to retain an auth mech other than Password in the
Receiving Mail tab of the Evolution Account Editor.
[ snip ]
  Seems like a big problem to me.

Yet another incarnation of the "storing auth method" bug?

Please check, whether the UI just fails to report the chosen and used
auth method properly, or if this really is set to password. The auth
method is stored in GConf /apps/evolution/mail/accounts.

form user;auth=TYPE server IIRC.

This bug may be known and already fixed, if it is the same issue I
remember. In that case, it should be fixed in Evo 2.0.4.

2) Evo won't remember a zero-length password (associated with anonymous
IMAP account at cmu).  There is no password on the account, and that's
what I've entered in Evo, and I've asked evo to remember this password,
but it asks me to re-enter it every time I start up.

Oh well, a useless password? :)

Please file it at bugzilla.ximian.com.

...guenther