Re: [Evolution] imap error message is annoying

Jay Kreps wrote:

Right, but put yourself in the position of the user.  One email client
produces irritating and useless error messages at regular intervals,
whereas all others work fine.  I doubt any reasonable person would
conclude that it was the server that was broken; they would probably
just use a different email client.
I am trying not to be a helpless user here, <....snip>

Related to the recent threads regarding Evolution and IMAP issues, my situation was similar to Jay's.

I've recently had to switch from POP3 to IMAP (a Notes IMAP server) and Evolution (v2.0.1) just isn't playing well with it. Thunderbird and Mozilla seem to have no problems with it but Evo acts as if it's constantly losing it's connection to the IMAP server. It sits there pinging it, or scanning the folders forever, etc... very slow to respond. Changing folders is enough to send it into a lost state. I had to do things like hit Send/Receive in order to re-establish connections or worst case kill Evo and restart several times a day. Filters also were not working properly on the IMAP side but I'm not sure it was or wasn't related to server connection problems. It could very well be a broken Notes server, but the other mail tools aren't affected, or at least they deal with it somehow. There are many things about Evo that I prefer, but in the end it wasn't usable if it couldn't talk to the server so I had to switch to another mail tool (t-bird).

Regards,
John