Re: Off-topic :: Re: [Evolution] Sent file too large

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 14:12 +0530, B S Srinidhi wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 12:42 -0800, Greg Tassone wrote:
FYI:  I am running ReiserFS on the 2.6.13 kernel series (version 3.6.19
of reiserfsprogs) and I'm having zero problems regularly handling 20 GB
container files and the like.

Oh! Thanx for giving me that info. I always thought that the limit of
file that a process in 'Linux' can handle is controlled by VFS or libc.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It is true that the kernel and related components must be able to handle
"large files" (those greater than say 4 GB).  This is also true of the
underlying file system.  Support for "large files" has been common on
Linux for quite some time.

I know this is way too off-topic... but could you (or someone else)
please point me to some good doc that covers File System and the limits
imposed by these.

Certainly.  While I haven't audited all of the content of the following,
it appears to be generally correct and a great primer on filesystem
specifics/limitations, also including good links off to other sites for
further reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

If you have other questions feel free to E-mail off-list since this is
OT.

Regards,
Greg