Re: [Evolution] remove duplicate emails

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 22:31 +0100, guenther wrote:
I think every email has an Message-ID.  Why not just delete duplicates
by Message-ID?  I think also to mailing lists, the message id is the
same.

Yes, they will be the same when Replying to All. Anyway, Message-Id's
are not *guaranteed* to be unique. Although, granted, identical
Message-Id's for different mails are very rare. Yes, we had this
discussion pretty often in the past...

Because we don't WANT a mailing list message that's also cc'ed directly
to the recipients to be considered a duplicate mail.  This is the
desired behavior on most linux development mailing lists like LKML where
most recipients procmail the list mail into a separate folder, so you
get messages CC'ed to you directly in your inbox, but the list folder
preserves the threading.

Using the proper Mailing List Filters in Evo will result in the same
behavior. :)

I know, that's what I do.  I am just saying that preferring Reply-To-All
vs. stripping CC's is a convention that varies from mailing list to
mailing list so we need to make sure any "remove dupes" implementation
doesn't just blithely remove dupes by message ID, but rather can tell
that two messages with identical bodies, one which came directly from
the sender and one from the list, are not dupes.

Personally I think we should just copy Mutt's implementation, I've never
had it do the wrong thing.

Hmm, I don't know how exactly Mutt manages to do this, but...

Did you just say "volunteer"? ;-))

No I don't have the bandwidth, I was just sugesting that there's already
an IMHO ideal implementation out there so whoever implements this
doesn't reinvent the wheel (poorly).

Lee