From: evolution-bounces lists ximian com [mailto:evolution-bounces lists ximian com] On Behalf Of Paul Leyland
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 6:27 PM
To: evolution lists ximian com
Cc: fejj novell com
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Stupid MUA Behavior (Trash)

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:09:16 -0400
From: Jeffrey Stedfast <fejj novell com>
To: "Jeffrey D. Means" <meaje meanspc com>
Cc: "evolution lists ximian com" <evolution lists ximian com>

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 07:45 -0600, Jeffrey D. Means wrote:
Why is it that when using Evolution as a MUA with IMAP when I delete
a piece of mail I have to take a 4 step process to actually delete
the
trash:
1: Pressing delete places it in the Evolution Trash folder for the
IMAP account

hitting delete on a message in, say, INBOX, just flags the message as
deleted (this is how IMAP works, and in fact, all other mail clients)

I'm not entirely sure if you meant what you wrote there, or whether you meant that it's how all mail clients
of an IMAP server behave.

I'm still smarting over losing 11 days of mail through a combination of
incompetence and unfamiliarity with an email client.   When on vacation
a few weeks ago I didn't have proper net access and was reduced to using a web-mail client to read my
accumulated mail.  I tried to mark and delete all the spam but succeeded in marking and deleting everything.
There was no undelete function  8-(

An urgent mail to my ISP's helldesk revealed that they considered a RAID array adequate backup.  They were
concerned only about hardware reliability and (apparently) don't take any precautions against
software-inflicted data corruption.

Paul