Re: [Evolution] Stupid MUA Behavior (Trash)

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:53:05 -0500
From: Ron Johnson <ron l johnson cox net>

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 17:27 +0100, Paul Leyland wrote:

I'm still smarting over losing 11 days of mail through a combination of
incompetence and unfamiliarity with an email client.   When on vacation
a few weeks ago I didn't have proper net access and was reduced to using
a web-mail client to read my accumulated mail.  I tried to mark and
delete all the spam but succeeded in marking and deleting everything.
There was no undelete function  8-(

Fetchmail+an_MTA+IMAP+Apache+a_webmail_app lets you have control.

I'm sure it does.  Pray tell me how to persuade an internet cafe located
in a small fishing port in one of the more remote parts of the country to
install it for me on a system that normally runs XP and IE.

I had a laptop with me, but no phoneline and no cellphone coverage.
Rural Cornwall is a rather remote part of the country!

An urgent mail to my ISP's helldesk revealed that they considered a RAID
array adequate backup.  They were concerned only about hardware
reliability and (apparently) don't take any precautions against
software-inflicted data corruption.

Time to get a new ISP!

I've been giving serious thought to that.

This is now getting rather off-topic, so I'll try to draw this thread to
a close now.

Cheers,
        Paul