Re: [Evolution] Re: New evolution user questions

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 09:13 +0100, Michael Graham wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 14:50:25 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 18:44 +0100, Michael Graham wrote:
I have just started using evolution (mostly because it can write to my
ldap server) and have a few questions, and was wonder if anyone would be
kind enough to answer them.

What is the purpose of the "On This Computer" mailbox? I assumed that it
would look at /var/mail but it doesn't (or does it and I'm just being
rubbish?) and if doesn't can I get rid of it?

It is evolution's local store.  It is the default location for pop and
locally delivered email.  It cannot be removed.

The default location? Whenever I add any account the default has always
been the e-mail address. But I've managed to get it to read my local mail
to there by changing the default location -- My e-mail address -- to the
"default" location -- "On This Computer". But it was in no way clear that
I would be able to do that.

huh???

IMAP accounts will place a toplevel tree node in the folder-tree under
which the folders will appear. The name is whatever you gave the account
(by default it uses the email address)

what do you mean you changed the default location?

I've noticed that evolution creates a "Junk" (virtual?) folder but I
haven't asked evolution not to check for spam so why does it create
that folder? Again can I get rid of it?

It cannot be removed.

That is... disappointing.

it doesn't create the folder, it's a virtual folder that doesn't
actually exist on the server.

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Novell, Inc.