Re: [Evolution] IMAP filter question

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 15:56, John Schmidt wrote:
On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 04:31, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 17:34, John Schmidt wrote:
I just switched to IMAP and filters aren't automatically working.
Should I have to manually execute "Apply Filters" on new messages in
my Inbox?

I've re-created a couple of filters and I've turned on the  "Apply
filters to new messages in INBOX on this server" option.  I thought
that combination should do the trick but it doesn't.

The option should really say 'Apply filters to unseen messages....' -
and the "unseen" applies to all applications that read your inbox - so
if you access your imap account via another route (another MUA or even a
new mail notifier) then the messages are "seen" and the filters don't
apply.  Think of it another way - the messages in bold are "unread",
they aren't necessarily "new".

Thanks for that insight.  However my original problem still remains,
that filters do not get executed automatically.  They work perfectly
when I run them manually, so I think they're set up ok.

I use IMAP exclusively over 4 or 5 accounts and the filters work fine.
I only have to apply them manually (i.e. do Ctrl-A, Ctrl-Y) if I've
accessed the mail from elsewhere - for instance, I run Evo at home as
well, but some of the filters I use at work move mail to local folders
(where I can ignore it), so I leave mail unread when looking at it at
home so that the filters at work will move it to the right place - but
because I have 'seen' that mail, even though it is 'unread', the filters
won't automatically move it.

So, are you sure there isn't another application that is accessing your
IMAP folders?  As I said, it could be a mail alert widget or another
MUA.

Pete

--
Pete Biggs :{)       pete physchem ox ac uk     pete biggs chem ox ac uk
  Phone: 01865 275490 (Work)    01865 275410 (Fax)     pete biggs org uk