[Evolution] How to use evolution again? Flood of alarm windows necessitates system hard reset.

I use Evolution (on Linux) as my calendaring app -- when I'm home,
that is.

Earlier this year, I was away from home for a couple of months.
When I got back and fired up Evolution, I suddenly started getting
hundreds -- *hundreds* -- of tiny windows on my screen . . .alarm
notifications from all the events in my calendar that had passed
over that two months.  The load caused the system to slow to a crawl
-- so slow that I couldn't do anything to stop the process.  I ended
up having to hit the reset button because I couldn't even switch to
a virtual console to kill Evolution.

I'm in a similar state now; I haven't run Evolution in a couple of
months because of being away.  I'd like to start using it as my
calendaring app again.  How do I prevent the flood of alarm
announcements at startup?  I've googled for some sort of a manual
that will tell me either about command line options or about how
to manually edit configuration files, but can't find anything
except descriptions of how to modify Evolution's config once you
have it running.  I could just nuke my Evolution directory entirely;
but I'd rather not do that, since there's a lot of persistent stuff
(like birthdays) in the calendar that don't exist anywhere else.
The archives of this mailing list show discussion of a similar
problem,

http://www.mail-archive.com/evolution lists ximian com/msg06920.html

but I couldn't divine a solution from that thread.

Any ideas?  Or am I just stuck with the choice of either crashing
my system once, or not running Evolution again?

Thanks,

-c

--
Chris Metzler                   cmetzler speakeasy snip-me net
                (remove "snip-me." to email)