Re: [Evolution] setting font size in message list / folder list? (1.5.93 / Slackware)

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 10:00 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 15:13 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
thee's some daemon process that needs to be running in order to notify
gtk to update fonts/themes/etc I just have no idea what it's called.

gnome-settings-daemon perhaps?

Yeah thats it.

Its kind of a stupid idea imo.  I thought thats the sort of crap the
registry (aka gconf) was for.

Just hardcode something in your gtkrc file, whatever its called this
week (.gtkrc-2.0 i think).

Well, this is where it gets confusing!

Remember that I'm running Evolution from a server which is running
Slackware 10.0 and no graphical apps on the server's own display.

The remote (client) display is currently RedHat 9 (which I need to
upgrade, and I'm not to keen on going to Fedora) running Gnome 2.0.

(yes I know strictly speaking for X apps the server's on the client
machine and the client runs on the server, but ignore that for the
moment! :-)

It seems that the reason I get the "You can only run one xsettings
manager at a time; exiting" error when trying to start gnome-settings-
daemon on the server is because it somehow detects I'm running Gnome on
the client machine.

Now, what's the correct behaviour in this situation (server with remote
display)? I would have expected the server application (in this case
Evolution) to pick up settings (such as font to use) from the server
itself, as it can't make any assumptions about what the client is, other
than it being able to render basic graphics objects; all the
'intelligence' is server-side.

Currently it seems that Evolution's doing neither - it's not picking up
font settings from the server on which it's run (e.g from a .gtkrc
or .gtkrc-2.0 file), but neither is it picking up my preferred font from
the desktop environment on the client display.

Maybe everything will work automagically if I upgrade the remote display
machine to the same version of Gnome as installed on the server?
Although it seems I may have found a good reason for having the ability
for the user to change font preferences within Evo for menus, folder
view, message list etc. as well as just the message display?

For giggles I might try a real XTerminal as a remote display sometime
and see what happens :-)

(for what it's worth I'm impressed with Evo 1.5 despite the font
problems; it's certainly a lot more stable and feels more responsive
than 1.4 did)

cheers,

Jules