Re: [Evolution] MailDir + unSYNC + Invalid Root on Evo 1.4.6

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 14:22, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 13:32 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 10:41, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 10:34 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
This is the case

OS : Gentoo
Evo 1.4.6
Mailing List (~40,000 emails, 295MB)
Office Emails  (2088 emails, 533MB)
/home is XFS
Laptop Hard Drive (hdparm ~30MB/s)

I'm re-merging them into 1 big Mbox file (as it was before the change to
MailDir)

The other problem would be the Office Folder. It's 500MB in size and
it's one big file for an Mbox file. Each time, at logout, it would take
a long time to shutdown as it's re-sync'ing the mbox file. (it takes a
while to build up 500MB)

I thought using MailDir would help. This folder has ~2000+ emails of
varying sizes. From 1K to 15MB. MailDir  should be helpful for this
folder right? But it keeps hanging.

~/Maildir$ du -bs
164009427

Office $ du -bs
556002420
Office $ ls -l | wc -l
2084

     .

I'm using IMAP with Maildir, and it's easily handling 164MB.  The
biggest directory has 12,139 emails.  Not as big as yours, but still
big.

You conveniently snipped out this portion of my Reply:
Of course, splitting that folder into subfolders (by year, or
quarter, depending on the volume) will also help.

And you missed the portion where I said, I'm remerging them into mbox
(~199MB) Which is why snipped it off.

So, since super-large folders (whether mbox or Maildir) "hurt",
DON'T DO IT!!!!  How difficult is that to figure out?

Not Very. I'm mreminded of the hammer.

Now it's only my Office Directory (emails) which are MailDir Format. I
hope that it performs better.

(One way which I can have a shorter logout(using mbox format) would be
to make sure evo does not "empty trash at exit)

(BTW, is there a difference between Evo's MailDir format and IMAP's
MailDir(?))

and what's teh :2,S or :2,RS means at the end of the email file name?