Re: [Evolution] MailDir + unSYNC + Invalid Root on Evo 1.4.6

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 10:34 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
This is the case

OS : Gentoo
Evo 1.4.6
Mailing List (~40,000 emails, 295MB)
Office Emails  (2088 emails, 533MB)
/home is XFS
Laptop Hard Drive (hdparm ~30MB/s)

I migrated from Mbox format to MailDir format hoping that I would see
faster performance from this. But the results are that the opposite is
true.

As I said before, 40000 files in a directory is a *lot*.  XFS is
optimized for big files (like that 295MB mbox file), not scanning
thru huge directories.  Moving to ReiserFS may help.

Of course, splitting that folder into subfolders (by year, or
quarter, depending on the volume) will also help.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"I prefer the most unfair peace to the most righteous war."
Marcus T Cicero