Re: [Evolution] MailDir + unSYNC + Invalid Root on Evo 1.4.6

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 13:32 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 10:41, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 10:34 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
This is the case

OS : Gentoo
Evo 1.4.6
Mailing List (~40,000 emails, 295MB)
Office Emails  (2088 emails, 533MB)
/home is XFS
Laptop Hard Drive (hdparm ~30MB/s)

I migrated from Mbox format to MailDir format hoping that I would see
faster performance from this. But the results are that the opposite is
true.

As I said before, 40000 files in a directory is a *lot*.  XFS is
optimized for big files (like that 295MB mbox file), not scanning
thru huge directories.  Moving to ReiserFS may help.

I'm using ReiserFS on my root FS. But I have some doubts on it's
stability. (esp when doing swsusp and hibernation)

I'm re-merging them into 1 big Mbox file (as it was before the change to
MailDir)

The other problem would be the Office Folder. It's 500MB in size and
it's one big file for an Mbox file. Each time, at logout, it would take
a long time to shutdown as it's re-sync'ing the mbox file. (it takes a
while to build up 500MB)

I thought using MailDir would help. This folder has ~2000+ emails of
varying sizes. From 1K to 15MB. MailDir  should be helpful for this
folder right? But it keeps hanging.

~/Maildir$ du -bs
164009427       .

I'm using IMAP with Maildir, and it's easily handling 164MB.  The
biggest directory has 12,139 emails.  Not as big as yours, but still
big.

Let me give you an analogy:
Man: "Doctor, it hurts when I bash my head with a hammer."
Doctor: "Well, stop bashing your head with a hammer."

You conveniently snipped out this portion of my Reply:
Of course, splitting that folder into subfolders (by year, or
quarter, depending on the volume) will also help.

So, since super-large folders (whether mbox or Maildir) "hurt",
DON'T DO IT!!!!  How difficult is that to figure out?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"In America, only the successful writer is important, in France
all writers are important, in England no writer is important, and
in Australia you have to explain what a writer is."
Geoffrey Cottrell