Re: [Evolution] Physically delete mails on the IMAP server

I use Evolution 1.4 (2.x is not packaged for Debian testing yet) and
IMAP.
Our admin asked us to fire all unneeded messages. OK. That's great, he's
doing his job.
My problem is that messages are not physically deleted onthe server,
though I ask Evo to delete them.
For example there is an IMAP subdir of my INBOX called 'mplayer': If I
Ctrl-a then DELETE all the messages in that folder, I see when I acces
via SSH that $HOME/Maildir/.mplayer/cur is still full of messages.
What's wrong ? And what if I just want to DEL some messages (not all)
but Physically delete them ? Is it an Evolution side configuration? or
is it a server side conf ?

It's common practice and how IMAP is designed.

Some information about "deleting", which I posted a couple of months
ago:

Deleting a mail does not instantly erase the mail, but mark it for
deletion (just like most other mailers do it, too). You have the option
of still seeing these "deleted" mails [1] or not.

Moving mails is simply a "copy and delete" action, therefore anything
said about deleting applies for moving, too.

The Trash actually only is a vFolder (virtual Folder) which lists all
mails marked for deletion.

To permanently erase the "deleted" (actually marked for deletion) mails
from disk, use Actions / Expunge (current folder) or Actions / Empty
Trash (all folders). You can setup Evolution to Empty Trash on Exit, so
you will not have to manually empty the trash.

I hope, this clears things up...

...guenther

[1] Check View / Hide Deleted Messages to show any "marked for deletion"
    mails in the current folder.