Re: [Evolution] Multiple Copies of Messages

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 11:33 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 12:40 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 09:27 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 12:58 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
This is entirely reasonable in some circumstances. I do it myself with
one POP account because I want to keep an archive of that mail on a home
machine but still be able to check new mail from the office.

Not everyone uses mail the same way.
Its actually quite an abuse of the pop protocol, like normal post
offices, you don't store all your mail there and read it once in a
while, its just a drop-point for picking it up.

The same argument could apply to IMAP. Note that I'm only leaving it on
the server when *not* reading from a designated machine.

No.  While POP is the Post Office Protocol (perfectly described by
NZ), IMAP is an Access Protocol.  The email is designed to stay
"in" the IMAP server.

Yes of course. However I don't see how I'm abusing POP by using one of
its facilities ("leave mail on server") whose only raison d'etre is
exactly this kind of situation.

poc