Re: [Evolution] BUG: frozen while looking up new mail

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 10:53, Florin Andrei wrote:
I'm using Evolution-1.4.5-7 on Linux Fedora Core 1 (it's the default Evo
package provided by Fedora), with Cyrus IMAPd 2.2.3. I'm using the IMAP

Everything's mostly fine, with one exception: Evo gets locked up hard
every time it checks the Inbox. It's only for a few seconds, and after
that it resumes normal functioning, but during those moments nothing
works, i cannot even type into the Composer, or if i copy/paste text
outside Evo and i hit CTRL-V exactly when it's frozen, it will wait
until the lookup is over.

Ok, i get exactly the same behaviour with Evo on another, different
system, when accessing the same IMAP server over the network.

This is Evolution-1.4.3 on Red Hat 9. Hardware is AthlonXP/1800, 512MB
RAM, GeForce FX, Audigy2. This is not a vanilla install "server
disguised as workstation" like my other system. It is a heavily
customised RH9, with all kinds of packages and libs added; it is
essentially a multimedia machine, used to make music (JACK, sequencers,
synths), process video (transcode, dvdauthor, mjpegtools, dvgrab), etc.
A VERY different system.

And yet the symptoms are the same: as long as Evo is accessing the IMAP
server, it's solid frozen. Once it's done updating the Inbox, it works
again.

Now i'm not willing to concede anymore that it's an error of my own. It
is a bug in Evo. After all, i'm using Squirrelmail with that server with
no problems.

Why this problem was not reported before?
Probably not too many people are setting Evo to check IMAP every 60
seconds, so perhaps it is less obvious to them.
And maybe those who notice didn't care.

<shrug>

--
Florin Andrei