Re: [Evolution] Evolution/IMAP recommendation?

Well evolution doesn't work particularly well with anything (where
particularly well is some hard to obtain ideal ... not merely
practicability, it does that with most servers, depending on your
workload).

But it interacts particularly badly with some servers.

I use uw-imapd for testing, mostly just because it comes installed by
default.  It is probably an adequate solution for small to medium
amounts of email.  Although since it stores things in mbox format it
means you can't have folders and messages in the same folder (either
only folders or only messages).  If you have a lot of email, the query
evolution does at startup runs much slower on uw-imapd vs other servers,
so you probably want to look elsewhere.  (the startup query is slower
than most imap clients use too for all servers, but we need it to
support certain vfolder operations currently).

Courier is also an adequate solution.  Its missing some IMAP 4.1
features, but they are minor, and it doesn't really affect normal use.
I've done some testing against it, and its used at Ximian I believe.

Cyrus is also ok.  I think its got the most features.  I'm not sure how
much we take advantage of those.  I've never actually tested against it.

Off the top of my head i'd probably say courier.  I kind of like the
backend being maildir too.

Dovecot is a newer one, and is meant to be decent (i think the author is
on this list?), although unfortunately I haven't played with it as yet.

Binc IMAP, http://www.bincimap.org/, is another I just found on
freshmeat which claims to be production stable, but I've never heard of
it before :)

 Michael