Re: [Evolution] Red-Carpet update breaks Printing

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 09:27 -0400, Rick DeNatale wrote:
On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 18:53 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
On Sa, 2004-06-26 at 12:55 -0400, Rick DeNatale wrote:
I guess I wasn't clear enough. I can print from xpdf also, I just can't
get xpdf to print a pdf file produced by evolution, unless I change the
paper size from the default of A4, and I've not been able to figure out
how to change the default

hi,

did you check
<http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution/2004-
June/037998.html>?

this could perhaps be helpful to set the default printing size...

Yes, I saw this when it was first posted. I'm running Redhat, so the UI
is a little different. In any event, the default page size for all of my
CUPS defined printers was already set to US Letter, but the in the print
dialog still comes up as A4.

The recent posting, prompted the question of why does the print dialog
only offer "Default Postscript" and "Create a PDF Document" as printers?
I can set CUPS defaults for my real printers, but I can't figure out how
to set the defaults for these two "Printers". Should the dialog offer a
list of my real printers as defined to CUPS? If it should, does anyone
have any idea why it doesn't? If if shouldn't how do I set the defaults?

Now I've gotten a bit further.  I finally got some response on the
gnome-print list and figured out how to set the default page size for
the "Default Postscript" printer.
The properties of the Default Postscript printer are defined (at least
on my RH9 system) in
/usr/shar/libgnomeprint/2.2.1.3/printers/GENERIC.xml

It contains a tag

  <key Id="PhysicalSize" Value="A4">

I changed the value from "A4" to "USLetter" (once I figured out how to
spell USLetter in a way acceptable to gnomeprint) and now the default
comes up as US Letter.  There is a similar file in the same directory
called PDF-WRITER.xml which sets the defaults for the PDF file output.

I still don't know why my CUPS printers don't show up in the dialog.
There's a bug about this in the gnomeprint bugzilla which I've cc'd
myself on.

Maybe this might help someone else.