Re: [Evolution] Can't select Inbox

tir, 20.01.2004 kl. 20.53 skrev hansgruber rogers com:

I have come across a problem with a company that I support.  As Preston Lee specified in December I am
unable to select any of the folders after a crash.  The configuration is, /home is mounted from the server
with NFS, RH8, Evolution 1.2.2 are on the local machine.  When evolution or X/KDE crashes and evolution was
running, once a restart happens the only folder that can be accessed is the contacts folder.  If any of the
other folders are selected a two second (aprox) pause happens and then the contacts folder is automatically
selected.

This is another of those "can't be bothered cos the line length reaches
from here to "de Gierbrug" (~2 km vogelvlucht, op de fiets, autorijden
of wandelen). However;

NFS has always been a bugbear because of any lockfiles. Did anyone try
SMB (like Samba 3) for this kind of crash yet, and if so, what was your
experience?

I have been using Evolution for many years and "killev" has always cured any crash, but not in this case.
A previous support person wrote a script to cure this, but is very heavy handed in my opinion and would
like to see a better
solution.

How could 'killev' (dead and gone, but restored by me on my Evo 1.4.5)
help dead lockfiles on an NFS mount?

The current solution is execute "rm -rf ~/.gconf*/*lock"

Quite. Therefore my question about alternative mounts; specifically SMB.

As the removal of all locks is pretty indiscriminate, they also reboot after running this.  I would like to
see a solution that does not arbitrarily remove locks and does not require a reboot.

--Tonni

--
mail: billy - at - billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl