Re: [Evolution] Hundreds of alarms

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 14:20, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

I mean, if the user doesnt want to have alarms, then she creates
appointments without alarms. If you create alarms in your appointments,
why don't you want to be notified of those alarms?
I had this problem when I first started using Evolution, and did a
hot-sync with my pilot.  The next time I restarted Evolution, all my old
appointments (and there were lots of them) came up as alarms.  It was so
bad that Evolution crashed before I could dismiss them; I cannot
remember anymore how I managed to get past this, but it was a big pain.

Since your case of not wanting to be notified seems to be a corner-case,
adding a config option only for a few people seems overkill.
It may be a corner case once you get going, but I could see it being a
substantial barrier to entry for first-time users.

If you can prove lots of people use alarms but dont want to get
notified, then, we'll add the config option. Until then, I'll think it's
a bad solution.
Again, remember that Evolution shares it's calender data with other
applications; just because the user wants one of those to alert them
doesn't mean they want *all* of them to alert them.

Just don't take the M$ mentality of saying "I do it this way so everybody
will do it this way".

what's M$?

Presumably, Microsoft.

  - Ian