[Evolution] Hundreds of alarms - what's the solution?

I just subscribed to the list and saw a thread from last month that exactly describes my problem: "Hundreds of Alarms". I have Evolution 1.4.4 on a Mandrake 9.2 system, and after doing an initial synchronization with my Palm, I can't start Evolution without hundreds of reminder windows popping up for calendar items in the far distant past, causing a crash.

From the previous thread, I gather that this is a common problem. What is the common solution?