[Evolution] Command line address-book import

I am able to import from an LDIF file into my Evolution contact list via the Evolution application menu option.

But is there a way to run this import from the command line, so that I can automate it from a shell script?  I have tried to run, for example "evolution-addressbook-import --input-file=contacts.ldif", but this just hangs.

Is there a way to do this, or perhaps a pointer in the right direction to modify the source code to automate the import from the command line when evolution starts?

I have evolution 1.0.8 on Red Hat 8.0.

Many thanks in advance,
Mike