Re: [Evolution] Remove duplicates (one more try)

Well, I think the solution is two-fold. It should be possible to display
in a separate window (after asking for it) every mails which have
duplicate message-id, and then select which of those one wants to
delete. Like what happened just now with the mail I'm currently
answering to. I got one directly into my inbox, and one filtered
automatically into the evol mailinglist subdir. I don't want them both
for later on, but have no intention about running after these messages
and delete them manually the time.

This won't work. You got two mails, cause Dan relied to all -- which is
common practice on this mailing list and some others.

The problem is, both mails are received by (partly) different SMTP
server. As the copy to you need at least one SMTP server less than the
copy sent to the mailing list, the personal copy will hit your mail
account *first*. Now, pruning the second mail will be very inconvenient
for any mailing list: Filtering won't work for them anymore!

FYI: You can find a shell script in the archives to delete duplicate
messages based on the Message-ID: header. Beware, there are some issues.

Secondly, the POP3-thingy is absolutely something one should look more
into :-) - that is not to be considered a bug, but a not-so-advanced
pop3-implementation that can be fixed without too much trouble (expunge
mails on pop3 server for example each 50 mails, for example, or even
some logic based on downloaded messages on client side?).

Deleting every 50 mails would be a good guess (speed vs. volume) for
your particular situation, but would be totally useless for the average
user...

...guenther