Re: [Evolution] Remove duplicates (one more try)

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 14:55, Dan Winship wrote:

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 06:32, Jakob Breivik Grimstveit wrote:

Tip for an extra feature: Please include a "Remove duplicates in this
folder" folder menu item!
Problem is that I've had problems with the POP3-implementation in
Evolution. Download 2500 mails, using f.ex spamassassin as commandline
filter. Evolution then is killed for one reason or the other after
having downloaded 1800 mails. Next time evolution start you start
downloading mail 1/2500 AGAIN :-(. Thus I have more than 1000 duplicate
emails filtered into several separate folders with filtering enabled - a
big task to manually remove.

Sounds to me like you don't really want a "remove duplicates" command,
you just want us to fix the bug that evolution will redownload the same
messages more than once in some situations.

Well, I think the solution is two-fold. It should be possible to display
in a separate window (after asking for it) every mails which have
duplicate message-id, and then select which of those one wants to
delete. Like what happened just now with the mail I'm currently
answering to. I got one directly into my inbox, and one filtered
automatically into the evol mailinglist subdir. I don't want them both
for later on, but have no intention about running after these messages
and delete them manually the time.

Secondly, the POP3-thingy is absolutely something one should look more
into :-) - that is not to be considered a bug, but a not-so-advanced
pop3-implementation that can be fixed without too much trouble (expunge
mails on pop3 server for example each 50 mails, for example, or even
some logic based on downloaded messages on client side?).

Just my two norwegian kroner. Thanks in advance.

--
Jakob Breivik Grimstveit, http://www.grimstveit.no/~jakob, +47 48298152