[Evolution] NFS Mounted at Home Partial Fix!

I’ve been having trouble with NFS mounted on my home directories, and trying to use Evolution with it. Since I run a 10 machine network for 25 employees, I needed it fixed so that I could setup 2 or 3 persons to use each PC.

Reading through the lists, I’ve found that the fix I propose helps not only with that, but with a lot of other problems I’ve been reading users have mixing Evolution with NFS.

So, if you are experiencing any of the following problems, and you are using NFS with Evolution, this PARTIAL fix might apply to you. YMMV.

-          Everything loads up except for the email component

-          Timeout receiving a new message (even though you are pulling it from your own server, not from the internet), or timeouts when Evo stores the email folders

-          ANY kind of error referring to CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1 (I’ve experienced quite a few)

-          Whatever other error you receive when using NFS with Evolution

The problem resides (I believe) with the locking daemon. A way I’ve found it to work for me is as follows:

  1. Logout of the system
  2. When you are at User Selection Menu (where you type your user name and password), Login as Root (I press Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login from there. I’m using SuSE 8.1)
  3. From the terminal type (as root) type: rcnfs restart (restarts the NFS client)
  4. Type: rcnfslock force-reload (should try to reload the nfs lock demon and fail, but will also load the nfs stat demon successfully)
  5. That’s it. Relogin as any user and Evo should work fine. In fact, you can logout and login as any user as many times as you want, as long as you don’t power down the PC.

Now, this is a Partial fix, for I’ve been unable to make it work automatically. I’ve tried setting it up by turning it on by default on the runlevel editor, but it doesn’t work (I’ve tried at all levels with no success)…

I’m sure someone out there knows how to set it up properly, and knows what I’m missing to make it work. Please, do speak up!

 ;)

Later

Corvette Hunt