Re: [Evolution] NFS Mounted at Home Partial Fix!

I’ve been having trouble with NFS mounted on my home directories, and
trying to use Evolution with it. Since I run a 10 machine network for
25 employees, I needed it fixed so that I could setup 2 or 3 persons
to use each PC.

You did not tell us, what you have mounted over NFS. But as you wanna
assign 2-3 persons to a single PC, I assume it is _not_ the /home
directory.

What part of your file system is nfs mounted? The Gnome system itself?

FWIW: Evolution and NFS runs fine for me. The /home is nfs mounted and
therefore _no_ configuration is stored on the local machine. (Actually,
it is a couple of weeks ago, since I used that setup myself.)

With nfs mounted /home and YellowPages you have the added benefit, that
there are 25 people, who can use any of the 10 PCs.

The problem resides (I believe) with the locking daemon. A way I’ve
found it to work for me is as follows:

     1. Logout of the system
     2. When you are at User Selection Menu (where you type your user
        name and password), Login as Root (I press Ctrl-Alt-F1 and
        login from there. I’m using SuSE 8.1)
     3. From the terminal type (as root) type: rcnfs restart (restarts
        the NFS client)
     4. Type: rcnfslock force-reload (should try to reload the nfs
        lock demon and fail, but will also load the nfs stat demon
        successfully)
     5. That’s it. Relogin as any user and Evo should work fine. In
        fact, you can logout and login as any user as many times as
        you want, as long as you don’t power down the PC.

Now, this is a Partial fix, for I’ve been unable to make it work
automatically. I’ve tried setting it up by turning it on by default on
the runlevel editor, but it doesn’t work (I’ve tried at all levels
with no success)…

I may be wrong, but that sounds nasty.

IMHO /etc/fstab is the place to change how the nfs file systems are
mounted. Seems, there are some strange/unusual options set. Maybe a SuSE
issue with default configuration?

I’m sure someone out there knows how to set it up properly, and knows
what I’m missing to make it work. Please, do speak up!

HTH

...guenther