Re: [Evolution] ibex files

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 10:39, guenther wrote:
I seem to remember this question from before, but I can't remember the
answer and couldn't find it in the archives when I tried looking for it.

I am using Evolution 1.2.3. I was looking through the Evolution
directory on my hard drive and noticed there are quite a few
mbox.ibex.index and mbox.ibex.index.data files. Those files take up
about 1/3 of the total space for Evolution.

My question is, would it be safe to delete those files when I am doing a
backup of my home directory? What are the consequences of removing those
files (either one or both)?

AFAIK you can safely remove all mbox.* files (note the dot!) ,as they
are for indexing and faster searches. Never delete the mbox file itself,
as it stores your mails!

The files you can safely delete:
 mbox.ev-summary
 mbox.ibex.index
 mbox.ibex.index.data

They will be recreated automatically, when removed. This may take a
while and seems to be done for Evo 1.2.x on startup -- this means while
the splash screen is displayed, so be patient if you have _large_
mailboxes.

If you do not want to let Evo index local mailboxes, right click the
mailbox in the folder tree, select 'Preferences' and disable 'Index body
contents'.

...guenther

Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of the ability to stop
Evolution from indexing the message folder. I appreciate it.

--
Doug

Random Thought:
Barker's Proof:
        Proofreading is more effective after publication.