Re: [Evolution] SpamAssassin with Evolution

See comments below...

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 06:56, guenther wrote:
cheers,

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  The .forward example I gave was just to show
that the .forward file was, in fact, getting invoked.  (I thought
someone had said that the .forward file is not invoked by evolution when
reading mail.)  [...]

That may be me.

I am not aware of any MUA, that respects .forward (and .procmailrc)
files by itself, when fetching mail. I may be wrong, cause I have to
admit I never looked for such behavior.

That means, getting mail from external servers. If the mail gets to your
machine using fetchmail or an own SMTP server for incoming mail, at
least .forward is used -- .procmailrc depends on the MTA.

I must admit, I am a little confused by this thread. How is the mail
getting to your local machine?

...guenther

Here's what I know about mail getting to my machine.  Mail to our
company ("SandCraft") is delivered to one machine for the entire
company.  (Each person has their own mailbox file, of course.)  All the
mail is stored in one directory on the mail server machine.  I can
access my mail using IMAP from my local Linux machine in my cube or I
can access it directly using a Unix path that is automounted over NFS.
The pathname is something like /net/blah-blah-blah/mail/veenstra.

With the .forward file I mentioned above (that explicitly forwards the
mail to "cat" and "spamassassin" in addition to procmail), I can see
that the .forward file is invoked when Evolution fetches mail using
IMAP, but is not invoked when Evolution fetches mail directly from the
NFS-mounted file.

That's about the extent of my knowledge.  Somehow, using IMAP in
Evolution causes the .forward file to be invoked.  (Another possibility
that I just thought of is that the mail got delivered while I was
experimenting with this and that the .forward file was invoked by the
software on the mail server when the mail first arrived.  Maybe
Evolution had nothing to do with it.)

In any case, I'm still experimenting with this.  I'm going to look into
using a program called offlineimap that was recommended by several
people on this mailing list.  Maybe I can get spamassassin to work with
offlineimap.

Jack V.