[Evolution] SpamAssassin with Evolution

Has anyone gotten SpamAssassin (an excellent tool for filtering out
spam) to work with Evolution?

There seem to be two approaches:

1. Run "spamassassin -e" from an Evolution filter using the "Pipe
Message to Shell Command" and checking if it "does not return 0".
If this condition is met, then you can move the message to a folder
called "spam".
  This has the disadvantage that spamassassin won't be able to rewrite
the message headers.  It is useful to see the spamassassin message
headers because it gives the "score" for the spam and the reasons
why that message is considered spam.

2. Another approach is to setup your .forward and .procmailrc files
to run spamassassin automatically when mail is received.  Then
spamassassin will rewrite the message headers of spam (this is what
I want).  I haven't been able to get this to work, however.  I've
read a lot of examples on the web and copied them to my .procmailrc
file but I can't get it to work.  It's as if nothing is marked as spam
(even for test messages that are definitely spam).  Has anyone gotten
this to work?

When do the commands in the .forward file get invoked?  Does Evolution
have to be aware of the .forward file (and parse it and run commands)?
Or does that happen in some other process?

Currently I have Evolution set up to read my mail out of a remotely
mounted file (using the "Local Delivery" setting).  I would like to
change that to fetch my mail using IMAP, but I have had problems getting
that to work.  How are the commands in the .forward file executed
under those two mechanisms (mbox file vs. IMAP)?

--
Jack Veenstra <veenstra sandcraft com>